Monday, April 11, 2005

Screwing children's lives: evidently OK with the Vatican

I posted recently about my disagreement with the Pope on some - to me at least- important issues. This is another issue I neglected to mention, one that is even more personal to me.

Those who sexually abuse children should not be tolerated in our society. Those who knowingly allow abuse to continue should also not be tolerated. Knowing, and doing nothing, or in the case of Cardinal Bernard Law, abetting abusers should be a crime: accessory to molestation.

Sexual abuse sucks the life out of children. It warps their mind and their self-image. Abused children struggle to find happiness. Some eventually do, but many don't. For those who don't truly recover, it's as if their life has been stolen from them. Why isn't stealing a life a crime? Why should a blind eye be turned to someone who permitted this to take place? It's true that sometimes false allegations are made, but most abuse allegations are not just allegations; they are the truth. It takes a lot for someone to speak up about something that shattered them emotionally as a child.

I know what childhood sexual abuse can do to a person. I know how it robbed me of any happiness for over two decades. I also know what that justice is often unserved to those who commit such crimes. It's definitely an injustice to see the Cardinal give a Memorial Service.

The Pope of course condemned the crimes, but he evidently didn't realize that knowing and allowing it to happen is also a crime. He defended the Cardinal.

It's true the Cardinal did not commit the crimes, but it is also true that he continually brushed such allegations aside. Really, who cares about some kids complaining that they were touched improperly?

Well, I care.

Read the sordid news story here:
Disgraced Cardinal Says Memorial Mass for Pope

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home